Consultation Options 2023 Te Whakapaipai 2023
Rotorua Museum Options Consultation 2023
Our iconic Bath House building which housed the Rotorua Museum is a significant building for our community and country. In 2016 damage from the Kaikōura earthquake meant the building needed to be closed. Based on information at the time, it was initially expected that the project to strengthen and upgrade the Museum could be completed at a cost of $53.5m.
Unfortunately, after ground investigation, detailed design, and construction cost escalations, the expected cost to repair and restore the full Museum has increased significantly to $81.4m. There is the potential for costs to escalate further given the complexity and age of the building.
Why consult again?
It has been more than 5 years since the Council consulted the community about the future of the Museum. Now there is more detail about the scope and costs to restore the building, we want to know how you would like the project to progress.
Is the project to fully strengthen, restore and re-open the Museum within the Bath House building still the community’s preference?
It is so important for Council to hear directly from the Rotorua community on what option you want, and how much you’re willing to pay for it. Your feedback will help us to find the best solution for our building and Museum services.
Understand the Options
Please ensure you are fully informed on the three options outlined for this consultation.
Visit Korero Mai Lets Talk website to find:
• Rotorua Museum Strengthening and Restoration option consultation document
• Briefing Report from 10 May 2023 Council Meeting which includes full background of building and project.
Options for consultation are listed below and all have risks and costs associated that are outlined in consultation document:
• A. Follow the 2018-2028 Long-term Plan decision. Continue to fully restore the building and reopen as a Museum.
• B. Staged Project. Stage One: Fully strengthen the building, Stage Two: Complete restoration and fit-out to reopen the building as a Museum.
• C. Find Alternative. Find an alternative location for the Museum and its services.
How to Have Your Say
Council would love to hear your thoughts. There are a variety of ways that you can provide feedback and engage with Council. We encourage you to:
• Complete an online submission form at rotorualakescouncil.nz/museumfuture
• Complete a physical submission form available at Rotorua Lakes Council and Rotorua Library, Te Aka Mauri
• Write to us at Rotorua Lakes Council, 1061 Haupapa Street, Rotorua 3010.
• Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Talk to us on Facebook @rotorualakescouncil or @rotoruamuseum Comments and suggestions will be considered. However, receipt of feedback provided via social media cannot be acknowledged.
• Phone us on 07 348 4199 (0800 020 001) (8am – 5pm, Monday to Friday).
• Attend one of our consultation events. These will be recorded so your feedback can be captured.
• Wednesday 31 May, 12.30pm – 1.30pm. Rotorua Library, Te Aka Mauri
• Wednesday 7 June, 5.30pm – 6.30pm. Sir Howard Morrison Centre
Public consultation closes on Wednesday 21 June 2023.